Commitment to Local Communities
Beyond our Core Sustainability Principles, we are committed to a thriving local community and economy.
We have a commitment to purchase core products (at least 50% of expenses) from independent suppliers local to Bear Creek Organic Farm in Petoskey, Michigan.
We have a commitment to serve at least 75% local and independent clients or customers.
In fact, for the last five years, more than 85% of sales were within 12 miles of the farm and almost 95% of sales were to local and independent customers.
We are the first and only 100% USDA Certified Organic Farm in Petoskey, Michigan.
Anne and Brian sit on numerous boards and committees to serve their community.
Crooked Tree Arts Center Board of Directors
Emmet County Planning Commission - Commissioner
Petoskey Regional Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
Thriving Petoskey Committee
Leadership Little Traverse Class of 2019
Michigan State University AgBioResearch Advisory Council
Awards & Recognition
2015 Local Food Heroes - Local Food Alliance of Northern Michigan
2017 Entrepreneur of the Year - Petoskey Regional Chamber of Commerce
2017 National Good Food Award Winner - Raw Honey - Good Food Foundation
2018 Top 40 Under 40: Next Generation Leader in Fruit + Vegetable Industry - Vegetable Growers News
2020 Person of the Year: Brian Bates - Best of Northwest Michigan
2020 Best Customer Service - Best of Northwest Michigan
2020 Most Innovative Workplace - Best of Northwest Michigan
2020 Best Overall Leadership - Best of Northwest Michigan
2020 Best Farmstand - Red Hot Best Top 3 Finalist
2020 Best Place to Get Your Annuals and Perennials - Red Hot Best Top 3 Finalist
2021 Young Innovator Award - MSU Product Center
2022 Michigan 50 Companies to Watch - Michigan Celebrates Small Business
- Bear Creek Organic Farm is Petoskey's first USDA Certified Organic Farm.
- Bear Creek Organic Farm is Petoskey's first Real Organic Project Certified Farm.
- We installed and operate a 30-panel Solar Array on our farm that produces 10 kW of renewable electricity for our farm. Click HERE to see how much power we're making right now!
- We use passive solar hoophouses and greenhouses to produce local leafy greens and salad greens 44 weeks/year.
- We're serious about local. Our close proximity to downtown Petoskey means that the majority of markets we serve are within 12 miles of our farm. That's not just local, that's hyper local. In fact, more than 85% of all products sold are distributed within 12 miles of our farm!
- Our microgreen clamshells are made of 100% post-consumer recycled plastic and are 100% recyclable - Made in Michigan.
- Our packaging boxes, flats, and cartons are made 100% recyclable. Made in Michigan.
- Our transplant containers and propagation flats are made locally, of recycled plastic, and are fully recyclable. Made in East Jordan, MI, USA.
- Our "plastic" produce bags at our farm market are 100% plant-based, and 100% biodegradable in normal compost piles.
- Our paper shopping bags are 100% recycled paper and 100% recyclable.
- Our beehives are never treated with any fungicides, insecticides, or pesticides, ever.
- We do not ship our bees - ever. Our bees live in Petoskey, Michigan for 365 days a year.
- We believe strongly in a vibrant local economy, and as such, we bank, insure, shop, source, and employ locally.